Monday, August 5, 2013

I believe! Help me in my unbelief, by Paula Rose Michelson

The title of today's post is found in Mark 9:24. In this portion of Scripture we see a father seeking Messiah's help for his son who has been demon possessed since birth. Yeshua's simple statement, "Everything is possible for one who believes," is as true today as it was back then.

Belief is one of many options. The various ways we distances ourselves from belief in Messiah is as numerous as the grains of sand, and causes a chasm, which, if measured might be deeper than the ocean, wider than the galaxy. Yet the pain of unbelief is more manageable than fence-sitting for vacillating between these two extremes causes one to feel and maybe see themselves as hypocritical. Satan loves that because we become ineffectual for the Lord at best, and may do or say something while trying to resolve our issue that he can use to slander Our Kinsman Redeemer.

The one question I hear from believers, fence sitter's, and nonbelievers alike is, “How can this One God be more than one?” The "One" they are speaking of is the word "Echad." Because there is no English equivalent for the word "Echad" it was translated wrongly to mean "One." Bible scholars know and teach that we must allow the Scriptures to define themselves and look at how the word is used the very first time. Searching the Scriptures, we discover that "Echad" is first used when a man and woman marry and consummate their union, they become one flesh...A Unity. This unity is a physical representation of how God can exist as Father (Adonai), Son (Messiah), and Holy Spirit (Ruach HaKodesh).

Since the Adam sinned man has been trying to fathom an unfathomable God. We try to understand heavenly things but possess, even at genius level time's infinity, a worldly intellect.

To believe and receive we have to suspend our belief that Godly things must make sense to us. In Is. 55:8 God declares, "My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways."

Many stand at this crossroad trying to rationalization God and Scripture. God knew this would be the case. Joshua sums up this ongoing issue when he says, in Joshua 24: 15, "If serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then chose for yourselves today whom you will serve." The message is clear! We chose...We face the consequences of our choice. Trying to understand God or Scripture, the Virgin birth, Messiah's atonement that brought us his forever Shalom requires faith, which is a gift from God that receive when we chose to believe.

When one receives a gift with joy they do not question its worth, importance, or try to figure it out because they are happy to receive the blessing. Conversely if one receives a gift they fear (like an unspecified bequest from someone others slandered) or are given a gift that has unspoken expectations (like a stenographers course to someone who is a poor speller) receiving implies they are now accountable to the giver. That mindset eliminates...No I believe extinguishes joy. When considering which of these two divergent perspective to choose remember choosing defines you. However, God is so good that should you walk away before you claim his gift, he will never stop calling you. He loves you so much that if you know him and have spurned him, he waits for you to resume the relationship. With a simple "Forgive me," you can be in fellowship with him once more.

I would be remiss in not sharing that though believers leave Messiah's tender care, and while gone are building their testimony, staying is always best. And the best course when trying to get away from the trap Satan has set is to seek God's guidance through prayer.

Since the fall, when Satan said we would know everything God did, we have wanted to know. The adversary uses our belief in our intellect to take us away from the lover of our souls! To stop this from I happening, I suggest you do as Yeshua taught and turn away and pray.

Messiah
 was a man of prayer. Let us emulate him for in doing so we will understand the unfathomable things in the Spirit, which we cannot speak of because our words are like a clanging gong a hollow noise unable to articulate heavenly things. And that, my friend, is as it should be.


Until we meet again may all God's Blessings be yours as You Walk with Him!

Shalom!

2 comments:

  1. I do not think I have read the concept of belief explained in any better way than I now have!!! Sometimes, it seems to get taken for granted and used rather freely (I believe.... I don't believe I would.... If that's what you believe....) However, when it comes down to it, what we believe is a choice! We chose to suspend our "faith" in our intellect and our "right" to understand in exchange for choosing to believe that God is who He says He is, will do what He says He will do, and that He wants us to be a part of it - if we choose to. We must also choose to receive His gift of love with joy for that is how it was designed to be accepted.

    On those days when we are looking at our choices and examining the decisions we have made, may we also cry out "I believe! Lord, help my unbelief."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nicole! I love that The Holy Spirit spoke this blog to my heart and as my fingers typed more blessings were revealed! As one who authors faith stories this is what I long for...this amazing blessing of being used by Him to express the what cannot be understood as concretely as Messiah did. Yet, I posses neither knowledge or wisdom unless gifted t me for this work. So I praise Him who is unseen for showing me things when I suspend my need to know or be in charge.

    ReplyDelete